Forums > The Oxford Comma Cafe

OCC Pokemon League

Posts (234)

• Ooaul

Ooaul Keeper of the .Gifs

#33544269 - 2 years ago

Hello humans! If you like Pokemon the video game or card game or even just the show this is the place for you! Share your love of these adorable little pocket monsters! Trade and battle and all of the in-betweens! And with your help maybe we can do a big ol' tournament someday. Keep this thread alive, it's dangerous to go alone. (I know that was a Zelda reference but you get the point.)

fz1U7vC.gif

Discord Link: 

https://discord.gg/75rp5Xm

• GreenBull92

GreenBull92 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Blarg

#33544331 - 2 years ago

Welcome Fellow OCC Trainers! :D

Which is just me and Ooaul right now, lol.

• Ooaul

#33544349 - 2 years ago

Hopefully @LCPeter will be interested and @LanceMowilos so maybe a whole 4 people! So that's a start, we have our elite four. XD

• GreenBull92

GreenBull92 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Blarg

#33544358 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ooaul

THAT WOULD BE EPIC! :D

• Ooaul

#33544374 - 2 years ago

In reply to GreenBull92

Oh man I have to pick a single type now. O.o What to do!? What to do?

Actually that would be funny to have an elite four. Then if we actually get to set up a tournament. Ahhhhhh we need to get a champion!!! Okay I mean I guess we need another person and all battle the best is the champion. XD

• GreenBull92

#33544397 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ooaul

So we need a minimum of 5 people that want to be the "founders" of the OCC League, and then have a mini tournament to decide the champion. I agree that single type teams would make thing more interesting though. But, for the first champion spot we should battle with balanced teams and then the Champion down gets first pick at a single type team and nobody else could claim that type team. 

• Ooaul

#33544411 - 2 years ago

In reply to GreenBull92

I can agree with that. Anybody touches ghost type you will be hunted down. >.<

I also vote that if we allow mega evolutions then only one per team. It's not fair to ha e a team of megas. xp

• GreenBull92

#33544413 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ooaul

Lol, I think you're safe there. I would probably go for Dark types.

• Ooaul

#33544414 - 2 years ago

In reply to GreenBull92

See two of my main crew in X are ghost types (Froslass and Chandalure) and three more in my backups. (Banette, Mimiku ,obviously not x, and Gangar)

• Arogen

Arogen FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33544459 - 2 years ago

Oh boy! Mega Charizard ftw! Yes I am the guy who picks Char every time. The discord link doesn't work anymore, but I'm defo interested! 

• Ooaul

#33544477 - 2 years ago

In reply to Arogen

Woo!! Yay! Question, have you dropped by the main OCC thread yet? Just a formality, you can stay of course but you should totally check it out since that's who we are and we are pretty awesome. XD

I'm still fighting with that discord...

• GreenBull92

#33544480 - 2 years ago

Alright that's 3, just 2 more and we have a full Elite Four.

Dude this is going to be freaking awesome, I always wanted to have a pretend gym that people could come to and challenge me. But a league is even better!  bruce

• GreenBull92

#33544481 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ooaul

As far as Megas go, the games actually restrict you to only 1 Mega Evolution per battle. Unless you mean only 1 Pokémon per team that is capable of going Mega.

For the PokéRecord, I vote that we allow Megas to be used with 1 caveat. We would consider Primal Kyogre/Groudon as the one Mega Pokémon if people choose to use the Blue or Red Orbs, since the game doesn't consider them to be true Megas even though they are.

Also, I suggest that:

Battles can be in Single or Double Format, Elite Member's choice. Both parties can have 6 Pokémon for each format.

Z-Moves are permitted.

Trainers can have a combined maximum of 2 Legendary/Mythical/Ultra Beast Pokémon on a team.

Pokémon on the same team cannot share Pokedex numbers.

Pokémon on the same team cannot have the same hold items.

There is another rule I want to add, but it has to deal with how the OCC League views match balance in regards to level capping versus free battles at any level. I am in favor of free battling because it reflects the nature of an actual Pokémon League.

• Arogen

Arogen FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33544566 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ooaul Yeah I did. I think I'm part of the group if I'm not mistaken. Haven't said anything on any of the OCC threads but I want to start to. I also haven't gotten Sun or Moon yet, I will soon though.

• Ooaul

#33545105 - 2 years ago

In reply to Arogen

Ah okie dokie, I'm pretty ditzy sometimes so I thought I would ask. I believe pretty much everyone has X or Y even so we can play those too even. (I'm thinking Sun and Moon as default for league battles) Fair warning all my good Pokemon are in my X haha! 

In reply to GreenBull92

I like these, once we have a more complete set of battle rules I can add that to the top post for "official" league battles. >.< Free for all if it's a friendly battle. XD I say if more than one Pokemon in your party can go mega only give one their mega stone just for the sake of the battle. 

• GreenBull92

#33545210 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ooaul

sounds good to me. One Mega Stone per team it is then.

• Ooaul

#33545224 - 2 years ago

In reply to GreenBull92

I completely missed it but I just now noticed you said PokéRecord. I love that, I'm going to call the rules the PokéRecord now. 

• GreenBull92

#33545236 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ooaul

I throw stuff like that in, to keep things interesting; not to mention it sounds like an item you would get in the game. :P

Should there be a link to a public Google Doc for the PokeRecord so people could just paste a link when asked about battle rules?

• LCPeter

LCPeter

#33545266 - 2 years ago

I hears the pokemanz and i is summoned.....HELL YEAH IM INTERESTED.

• GreenBull92

#33545286 - 2 years ago

In reply to LCPeter

PokeBlarg? But, seriously welcome dude! :D

Right now we have 2 Elite Four spots open if you want to be a member of the "OCC Pokemon League". (Anyone is welcome to come here and free battle and chat though). Right now the current league has myself, Ooaul, and Arogen (I think he accepted a spot, not sure).  as the current members.

Setting up rules and how challengers would battle us is still being hashed out, but I think we could go for a Ala Carte setup where the challenger picks 1 of the four types they want to fight and then the respective member battles them over Internet (with the exception of the Champion which you always fight last) . Maybe then after each match the corresponding League Member announces the results on a post here. To update the current challenger's progress.

@Ooaul Just thought of a new rule, Challenging Trainers have one week's time to battle all five members of the Elite 4, as to allow for schedule flexibility. If after a week has passed and the challenger has not battled the whole league they auto-lose.

• LCPeter

LCPeter

#33545298 - 2 years ago

In reply to GreenBull92

I see, so I just need to pick a type now? I actually need to get good too?!!! This is harder than I thought haha. But real talk, is our elite four set, or will it rotate as people come along and beat us?

I think I'd need to see if I'm actually good enough to be on the league tbh, as I haven't really got strats so much. I'd love to challenge you guys though at some point.

• GreenBull92

#33545325 - 2 years ago

In reply to LCPeter

As far a monotype teams go, @Ooaul and I were thinking of having a mini-tournament to decide the League Ladder, (which would only be used determine a Champion, whom would get first dibs ((in descending order of tournament ranking)) on a mono-type team, since nobody in the Elite 4 can have the same mono-type team).

I think the best way to keep the League alive is to keep it static (same people). Anytime a champ beats us they should get an acknowledgement as being one of the champions. But, just like in the older games, even if you become the Champion you don't take over the Champion League spot. 

However if someone has a previous champ recognition, they could re-challenge a member of the League for a permanent spot except for the current Champion.

That's my opinion of it but this is all still really early on so it can go either way.

Maybe once a month we would have a new mini-tournament to see who among the 5 people would be the new Champion for that month.

Lotsssss of rules still need to be discussed further but this may be a good skeleton to build-up from, right now the focus is to get the League started and set-up before we open up to challengers. The only problem I see with rotating members is if they don't show up and cause a logistics nightmare for the League.

My brain hurts... >.<

• Ooaul

#33545362 - 2 years ago

In reply to GreenBull92

In reply to LCPeter

I can 100% get behind all of those rules. If y'all want I can actually get us set up on a Google doc/drive and if anyone wants on top of the Discord we can have a Hangouts too. That way if it's on your phone you can receive a notification instead of having to check the site if it's more convenient? 

I definitely feel we need to have a bit of a rotation as far as champions at least. I think keeping the elite four as the founders for now is probably a good idea just because I'm full of myself and need to be a special snowflake. XD Then when a champion or elite four member has to step down we can do the miniment to fill that spot. 

So right now we have mentioned working on:

PokéRecord (das rules)

Who is who organization

Communication options

I'm hoping that @LanceMowilos actually listens to me and checks the stupid forum!! Because then we'd have enough people to get started. 

And maybe a thought it sounds like some people don't have sun and moon yet. Should we do the first bit of, I guess testing, through gen six for now? But hopefully move to seven in the future? Not sure what works best?

• LCPeter

LCPeter

#33545378 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ooaul

It'll probably help keep it more stable for now if we stay in I suppose. We could maybe have seasons to change around who's where? It could be based on whoever becomes champion or we could host some sort of tournament?

• GreenBull92

#33545391 - 2 years ago

In reply to Ooaul

@LCPeter

Or if we all wanted to stay as special snowflakes, the current challenger can call-out anyone that has achieved Champion recognition (assuming they answer in a timely manner) for a title battle instead of the permanent League Champ.

I'm open to the other way too, I just don't want people getting upset if they get axed from league as Champion. Maybe we could keep a list of original members that will always be welcome back in case of an open League spot that would take priority over Challenger Champions, (and of course we could always fight for our spot back as well).

For testing purposes Gen 6 sounds fine to me.