Forums > RWBY

Rise of the Pirates: A fleet of unexpected RWBY ships

Posts (8)

• Masterweaver

Masterweaver FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Teller of Tales and Bard

#33535887 - 9 months ago

The ocean was, as always, a scene of terrible war.

Carriers with flags bearing bumblebees stood side by side with destroyers showing the white rose's colors, their combined fleets easily devastating the scrambling checkerboard corvettes. Ladybug runabouts and freezerburn frigates were tearing into the enabler fleet, the orange minesweepers desperately trying to reach out to the checkerboard flotilla in hopes of survival. The powerful Arkos dreadnoughts, once terrors of the sea, had suffered catastrophic engine burnout; the captains of Lancaster had repurposed some and added them to their Q-ship fleets, upsetting the balance by ripping into half of the ongoing battle.

The Rennora tugboats, happily ignoring the devastation around them, were the first to see the newcomers.

"What the...." The lookout lowered his binoculars, peering at the horizon. "Captain! Captain, you need to see this!"

The captain rushed to the rails, her eyes narrowed against the salty spray. "What is it? A red sun? A black sun? A solar flare?!"

"No, it's nothing to do with the sun at all! Or even Sun Wukong!" The lookout pointed at a distant dot. "It's... I don't know what it is!"

The captain took his binoculars, looking at the dot. "...A party-time canoe? Those aren't supposed to be this deep out in the sea!"

"It's armed, captain. Armed and ready."

"Yes, I can see that." The woman sighed, handing the binoculars back to the lookout. "What crazed soul pilots that thing, I have no idea, but I doubt they could possibly cause any trouble. Keep track of it, and let me know of any updates."

"Aye captain." The lookout nodded, peering through his binoculars at the canoe.

The figure rowing the boat along resembled nothing so much as a black leather robe. Pinned to their chest was a badge with the image of a two-faced kitten; atop the hood was a tricorn hat with a single extravegent feather. The rower giggled to himself as he saw the battle, pushing his tiny boat ever forward.

"What fine vessels be these, maties. Nice and stable, hard ta sink and hardarrrrrr ta make peace with. But if ye be thinkin' they be safe from all boot' each otha, let me be remindin' ye what I be havin'!" A sleeve gestured behind him. "Not any o' the big ships, nay, boot a fleet of smaller vessels. Vessels which no sane admiral would let ooot'a port, let alone into battle! Boot I? I be Masterweavarrrrrrrrr, and I be havin' me some foon with such things. So prepare yeselves, maties, fer we be commendeerin' soome vitals and victuals from the very vagabands what do tear themselves aparrrrrrrt! Fer Love! Fer War! FER BOOTIE! YARHARHARHAR!"

With a maniacal cackle, he paddled into the fray.

------

So, yeah, this is the crackship thread. Where you propose a crackship, and I attempt to justify it. You want Tyrian and Illia? Scorpion lizards ahoy! Taiyang and Cinder? Ruby's getting a new mom. Neopolitan and Zwei? LOVE KNOWS NO BOUNDS! Seriously, give me any pairing (or triad, if you're feeling exotic) and I'll come up with a way for it to work!

• MisCon

MisCon

#33536484 - 9 months ago

Sun and Emerald

Vol 1-3 Cinder and Ozpin

Don't wanna go nutz here, so I leave it at 2. Do your worst!

• Masterweaver

Masterweaver FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Teller of Tales and Bard

#33536908 - 8 months ago

In reply to MisCon

Sun and Emerald

Vol 1-3 Cinder and Ozpin

"Arrrrr, private MisCon, welcome to me arrrrrrrrrmada!" Masterweaver chortled at the man, looking over the husks with a discerning eye. "And what beauties ye have fer me today, eh? A vessel from the thieves' company, and--ah, an eternal flame engine, rare find that!" The black robe pulled out a wrench. "Should be easy enooof ta patch these wrecks--soon as they be afloat, we be shippin' out fer our first raid, savvy?!"

-----

THIEVES' COMPANY

The players

Sun and Emerald, Emerald and Sun. What do we know about them?

Sun's a fun-loving kind of guy, willing to stick his neck out for his friends. He's known for his abs, his somewhat dorky personality, and his ability to pull surprisingly deep observations and philosophy out at crucial moments. He's demonstrated a disrespect for law--although he has a deep respect for friendship and is easily willing to play along with legality if it means helping others. He's brash and outspoken, brimming with confidence and always, always seeks to do what's right. Also he has a pretty blatant crush on Blake... at the moment, anyway.

Emerald, well, Emerald's an interesting mirror to him. Also disrespecting the law, also loyal to her friends, also conventionally attractive. The primary difference is her snarky personality and her deficiency in morality--traits that she probably picked up being a street rat. She is clearly aware of the concept, she sees the fall of Beacon as a sad event, but due to both her upbringing and her current company she has no actual motivation to do the "right" thing. Like Sun, she also has some form of attraction to a dark-haired woman. It's not quite as healthy as his crush, though...

The connection

Emerald and Sun were both, at one point, thieves by necessity. They both understand the hardship of having too little, they both understand the value of having companions, and they both understand what it's like to have the woman you are crushing on react negatively to your presence. Truthfully, Sun is the light to Emerald's dark, the dashing rogue to her cat burglar. They could easily see each other in each other, and that bond--plus a lot of hard work and effort--could lead to a relationship.

The story

Of course Sun and Emerald have never met in person, so that would have to happen. They'd also have to shake off their respective crushes--I can see Sun doing that if Blake decides to pair up with somebody else, and Emerald might do so if Cinder... either goes too far or ends up lost on her own. Most likely this would happen after whatever mess is going to go down in Mistral, and even then it wouldn't be immediate--Emerald would still be very resentful of the events, probably imprisoned, and Sun would be quite mistrusting of her....

...but it would be just like Sun to reach out and try to understand why Emerald is "evil", and also like him to try to help her understand what morality is. And Emerald, who has never met anyone who both understood her and cared about her (at least that we know of), would probably react positively to this attention, if very slowly. A lot of snark and a few years of opening up later, and it might just happen that Sun Wukong and Emerald Sustrai form a Thieves' Company.

-----

Masterweaver leaned back as the clipper growled to life, wiping his hood clean of grease. "Aye, there's a wondarrrrrrful sound, me lads! A ship ready and rearin' ta go, savvy? Now then."

With a twirl of his wrench, he turned to the other vessel. "This moit be a tooch hardarrrrr fer me ta rig oop, boot if thar's one thing bein' a pirate has taught me it's that tha hard things? They be worth doin'!"

-----

ETERNAL FLAME

The players

Ozpin and Cinder, Cinder and Ozpin. What can we say about these two?

Ozpin is... a tricky sort to get a handle on. He runs a school and obviously cares for the students, wanting to help them grow... but he also runs a conspiracy to keep the greater evils hidden. His methods are the sort that only work if he's in the background, if he's distant; he can be the old wise mentor or the secret chessmaster, but only if he acts with a light touch. That said, when push comes to shove he will take action, and take command efficiently. There's very little personal information on Ozpin, so we're left with a man who wants to save the world but doesn't want the world knowing it needed to be saved.

Cinder is... also tricky, for much the same reasons. She wants to be strong, feared, powerful... but why? Why is she so willingly working with the bad guys, why is she so ready to cause Beacon's fall? Even factoring in season 4 information, we still know very little about her personally; all we know is she has a goal, she has manipulative methods, and she keeps a tight grip on her minion's actions. Cinder is tricky and adaptable, sabotaging her opponents and using her resources with precision and cunning that has earned her the ranks of true respect; every failure was merely a setback, and not even a big one at that.

The connection

Ozpin and Cinder both play a long, shadowed game, moving people around like pawns, taking exactly the action they need. Their desires are opposite: Ozpin wants others to be strong, Cinder want their strength for herself. Ozpin wants to be respected and loved, Cinder wants to be respected and feared. Ozpin has power, which comes with great responsibility; Cinder wants power for her own gain. We come again to a mirror of light and dark, and as opponents they'd respect each other quite a bit... but as lovers? That would take some time.

The story

Because MisCon has specified V1-3 Ozpin and Cinder, we can say they both survived the battle of Beacon, though grievously wounded (this theoretical scenario has a shipfic being written between V3 and V4, so basically no Oscar or team WTCH). In the intervening weeks, months, years, the two of them continue to recover and duel each other through proxies, Cinder seeking to collect the power of all the maidens; sometimes she wins, sometimes she loses, but throughout their combat the two of them gain a deep respect for each other. Then Salem does... something, enough to earn Cinder's ire, so when she finally does gather the final Maiden's power she pulls a last minute turn of alignment, switching over to Ozpin's side to destroy Salem... before giving the man one final taunt of "catch me if you can!" and running away. It's not a perfect ship, but it might work, if done right.

-----

"Whew!" Masterweaver leaned back as the engine sputtered to life. "Bit tricksy, this ol' heap is. Probably best ye brought an outdated one, ta be honest; Ozpin brand gears have gotten a bit beat up in their last batch, and the fire marbles from Cindarrrrrr productions all got cracks in 'em these days. Still, got this ol' beauty in motion... it'll probably last fer a raid or two."

He turned to MisCon. "Speakin' o' which, lad... ye want ta take these two out fer a test drive? I see a listin' ladybug oot thar, might be a good prey ta cut ye teeth on..."

• MisCon

MisCon

#33537231 - 8 months ago

Wow... You're good.... But you forgot 1 thing, although since it isn't well known I can give you a pass on it. Sun can see through disguises. It was a power his inspirational namesake had, and when you watch how he spotted Blake a faunus immediately, it was subtle but clear he does have this power.  While a Sun/Em ship will likely never happen in the show, I assume that they will eventually meet, and Em will try one of her tricks on Sun, and it will backfire, HARD. Could be how her semblance will be revealed to the heroes.

• Masterweaver

#33648774 - 3 months ago

In reply to MisCon

I have not ever heard this interpretation.

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33649253 - 3 months ago

I'm gonna leap shows for my contribution (never said I couldn't).

Pyrrha/Krillin.  I call it "Leftovers".  After all, don't you stuff leftovers in the fridge?  Seriously, if RT didn't want someone like me to fuck up their intended narrative, they shouldn't have built a barn with a broad side so big even an Imperial Stormtrooper could hit it.

Also, pretty sure that the Arkos fleet's damage is the result of blatant sabotage, and not from prolonged battle.

• Masterweaver

#33649274 - 3 months ago

In reply to WrightKnight

"...Laddie." Masterweaver leaned in toward WrightKnight. "Laddie," he said again. "Aye know that the ocean be larger then this mere swathe in tha sea. If'n ye've been round places Aye ne'er seen, tis all well and good. But Aye cannae make a ship work if'n ye throw in parts Aye dinnae recognize."

He paused.

"Also, just as a matter o' course, we dinnae speculate boot engineers here. We be scavengers, craftsmen of that what be already made. We work with wot we got, not wot could'o been forged. The last time Aye seen some fool do soochlike, well..."

A dark sleeve gestured to the sinking wreck of a dreadnought, covered in black screaming fire.

"O' course, if ye can forge this... Leftover vessel ye so admire, Aye'd be ill advised to reject it." Masterweaver shrugged. "We be pirates and thieves, aftor all. Take wot we can. Aye be good with the Remnant fleets, perhaps a tooch o' Equestrian galleons, boot Aye admit this... wot did ye say forged this thing? Dragon Ball Bearings? Ach, Aye nae encountered this afor. Twould be up to ye, laddie."

• WrightKnight

WrightKnight

#33649288 - 3 months ago

In reply to Masterweaver

"Fair enough.  Though, I'll give you, my good captain, a bit of advice: be wary of those ships that hail from the seas of Republic City.  I've gotten a good look at their blueprints, and I see their ships out there right now," I say as I point to the Bumblebee fleet.  "I've seen those many times before in what you would call uncharted waters, and they fly in colors of blue, red and black, not a proud black-and-yellow striped pattern."

"Now, if I must operate under your....limited means, then I think I have a challenge for you: Ruby/Pyrrha/Sun/Coco/Nora.  I call it "A Balanced Breakfast."

"And of course, if it turns out that you are so opposed to working with....certain material...." I say, gesturing to the dreadnoughts, "Then that says a lot more about you than it does me.  After all, you claim to be all about scavenging and salvage.  These parts are far from worthless, and not to be viewed in the same light as a child's broken plaything, to be used, abused and tossed aside once destroyed.  In fact, I already have a few ideas for a refit and redesign."