Forums > RWBY

RWBY Volume 4 In-Depth Discussion and Spoilers: Finale Week

Posts (20246)

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33507774 - 1 month ago

In reply to Yarev

Hello, newcomer! Welcome.

I did like Vol4, too. I have to say, I did miss the action, but the two main fights we had (Qrow v Tyrian and the Nuckle) were done well. The Sea Dragon battle was lacking, I deem. The character growth did suffer from lack of time - too much individual arcs, and here I wholeheartedly agree with Wright.

In reply to Rakolai

In reply to novusdawn

True, I forgot about those shockwaves. I wonder if they're a form of attack. Enhancing attacks with Dust would indeed be a nice touch. Jaune deserves to become an ass-kicker. I don't think he'll become an long-ranged fighter, since that role is already taken (Ruby is a sniper, after all), and they have a tank (Nora). So keeping him close-quarter combat would be ok.

• SAmaster

SAmaster FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33507778 - 1 month ago

In reply to WrightKnight

I don't think it's bad they copy/pasted Korra, I think it's just bad they didn't do it nearly as well.

• tylerbamafan34

tylerbamafan34

#33507805 - 1 month ago

In reply to FettucCR a men, its time to shut up all the absurd JUane haters too

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold He who is found yet lost

#33507832 - 1 month ago

In reply to tylerbamafan34

Never going to happen sadly.

They are too entrenched that they see everything as an insult or RT disrespecting Pyrrha....its like guys no the people disrespecting Pyrrha are you not RT because you keep trying to change who she was into your own personal head canon and that isnt how that works.

It gets kind of bad at times and often so Ironic it hurts watching them crap all over Jaune and RT especially in regards to Pyrrha who they often try to make her into this person she is not nor ever was.

• HunterBlaine

HunterBlaine FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33507836 - 1 month ago

In reply to revanninja

Ill admit when i started RWBY i was indifferent about Jaune. I didnt hate him, but didnt care much for him either.

Ironic considering im practically the president of the 'can you just let Jaune be all that he can be already??' Camp these days

• novusdawn

novusdawn FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Xenos need not apply

#33507841 - 1 month ago

In reply to HunterBlaine

Honestly when I first saw how inept Jaune was I immediately went 'Yup, he is going to become one of the more over powered characters'. I have seen the whole 'slow to start but impossible to stop freight train' character trope a few to many times not to recognize the signs. I do like how that are handling Jaune now as I though his character growth would be stunted by him training but they have done a good job balancing out his overall growth.

• HunterBlaine

HunterBlaine FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33507843 - 1 month ago

In reply to novusdawn

Minus them dragging out a couple of things-everyone knows what i mean, dont have to say it-i agree ive liked how theyve handled him.

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold He who is found yet lost

#33507844 - 1 month ago

In reply to HunterBlaine

The issue is Jaune is a VERY different character from all the rest of RWBY and that was intentional. People wrote him off as comedy and then got surprised when no he isnt comedy.

Jaune is meant to be the kind of person who starts off weak but grows REALLY strong over the course of his journey. This is contrasted by the rest of the cast who are already strong.

They wrote him like that so we can get a sense of where things are and how it stacks up. Jaune right now at the end of vol 4 can be considered on par with RNJR he might be a step or 2 behind but he isnt far behind.

Since he doesnt have his semblance yet and still coming into his talents he hasnt reached his peak. It would not be far off to say outside of stuff like Maidens and Silver Eyes Jaune might end up becoming the strongest Hunter.

Unlike everyone else who has around 5 years of training except Ruby who has 3, Jaune has at most a year of training and sporadic training at that. 

He has come far in a VERY short amount of time.

• HunterBlaine

#33507849 - 1 month ago

In reply to revanninja

Agreed.

Other than the freaking semblance complaints ive really got no gripes with how things were developed up to this point.

• DrPainKiller

DrPainKiller FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33507869 - 1 month ago

In reply to HunterBlaine the semblance at this point is more of a meme than it is gonna happen. This is RT'S version of half life 3 in a way.

• HunterBlaine

#33507872 - 1 month ago

In reply to DrPainKiller

Pretty much and i hate that

• DrPainKiller

DrPainKiller FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33507875 - 1 month ago

In reply to HunterBlaineHunterBlaine sun has kind off taken over being the comedy character but I hate that more.

• novusdawn

novusdawn FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Xenos need not apply

#33507887 - 1 month ago

In reply to DrPainKiller

To be fair they did need a factor of levity in Blake's arc but just sticking Sun into the arc didn't really fit as well as they probably thought it would.

• DrPainKiller

#33507891 - 1 month ago

In reply to novusdawn yeah, now he seems cautiously fearful of what blake will do next. Think introducing a disillusioned old friend of Blake's from the WF (not ilia) might have fitted better.

• HunterBlaine

#33507892 - 1 month ago

In reply to novusdawn

Agreed on Sun being thrown in there, but I dont know if i agree that they HAD to have levity for Blakes arc though

• SAmaster

SAmaster FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33507910 - 1 month ago

In reply to HunterBlaine

That and someone for Blake to bounce off of.

• VikingBubbles

VikingBubbles FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold anime noob

#33507913 - 1 month ago

In reply to HunterBlaine

I'd say at the very least, they needed someone to keep Blake talking, since she probably wouldn't do much of that on her own.

• novusdawn

#33507914 - 1 month ago

In reply to HunterBlaine

It didn't but since they realized that they went too dark too fast the kinda over compensated I feel. I mean look at the first episode where Jaune gets his weapon and armor upgrades. Did they really need to add Ruby laughing at his hoodie like she did?

• HunterBlaine

#33507916 - 1 month ago

In reply to novusdawn

Honestly? I wanted Ren and Nora to look at ther and go 'You DO realize who was on that cereal box right?'

I didnt much care for Ruby in that scene.

• DrPainKiller

#33507924 - 1 month ago

In reply to novusdawn the laugh was dragged on for longer than it should of IMO, a little chuckle would of been better

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33507958 - 1 month ago

In reply to HunterBlaine

See? People should hate Ruby for that, and they don't. Instead, they hate Jaune for being a regular joe on a world choke-full of OP characters.

In reply to revanninja

Yeah. As I see it, he was a character you could easily relate to, since he's "normal". He gave a sense of scale, and not only was the lovable idiot. Hell, he chopped the Ursa's head fair and square, and held his ground against the Death Stalker. Haters just seem to ignore that.

• novusdawn

#33507981 - 1 month ago

In reply to DrPainKiller

Well that actually is my point. They were overcompensating so the humor that was there got blown out of proportion and came off as extremely strained and forced. Ren's reaction was much better as while humorous it wasn't forced and had a tension easing levity to it.

• tylerbamafan34

tylerbamafan34

#33507983 - 1 month ago

In reply to FettucCR to be fair to Ruby, I get the feeling she and the others really needed something to laugh about by that point

• Yarev

Yarev

#33507991 - 1 month ago

In reply to WrightKnight

When it came to Volume 3, the character growth for Team RWBY was confined to the last few episodes. Not exactly what I would call a season-long arc. Weiss stopped doubting herself and learned to perform a summon, but beyond that, I don't think the other team members had arcs set up during the first half of the season that were completed during the second half. Pyrrha had a good season-long arc, though.

I would argue that in Volume 4, each character did have a distinct arc. Sure, Weiss, Blake, and Yang's arcs ended on the note of "finding the strength to leave home to continue the fight" but their individual growth, challenges, motivations differed from each other in meaningful ways.

And speaking about the Silver Eyes thing, literally EVERY volume had ended the season with some over-powered element that had little to no buildup. In Volume 1, it was Penny. In Volume 2, it was Team CFVY. And in Volume 3, it was the Silver Eyes. Give Volume 4 some credit, since its climactic battle was exclusively the triumph of Team RNJR's teamwork, plus both the foe and its personal connection to both Ren and Nora was hinted at as early as the second episode of the volume and developed gradually over the course of the season.

In reply to FettucCR

I can understand the character growth stuff being called overly simple, super condensed, and not terribly complex, but honestly I feel it is a miracle that those arcs even exist at all. Before Volume 4, RT had never, and I mean NEVER, created a volume with four competently handled season-long character arcs for the members of Team RWBY. Each season, they did mini-arcs for maybe 2 or 3 characters that spanned only a few episodes. I've been waiting forever for RT to try something this ambitious, so I can't help but see this volume as a step in the right direction.

Even when the show reunites the members of Team RWBY, I hope RT will continue to structure their volumes around season-long arcs for each of the characters.

• FettucCR

FettucCR

#33508012 - 1 month ago

In reply to Yarev

Problem is, they didn't have nearly enough time to appropriately develop four different arcs at the same time. And given it's their first time, they didn't handle it to perfection. They did their best effort, I believe, and that is to be praised. I expect them to learn from the mistakes and get better. 

In reply to tylerbamafan34

Having something to laugh about is one thing. Mocking someone so shamelessly is a very different one. It was rude and out of place. I feel they could've done that better.