Forums > RWBY

Original Semblance Ideas

Posts (816)

• Capcans2

Capcans2

#33540016 - 5 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

Shadow Master is indeed one my more powerful semblance. But it goes with the character and their role in the story. 

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33540109 - 5 months ago

In reply to Capcans2

Ohhhhh do tell...

• Capcans2

Capcans2

#33540331 - 5 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

The user (Atsu Sumbra) grew up in the shadow of their younger brother. Where Atsu's brother was charismatic and outgoing, Atsu was an introvert and hid themselves from others. 

In the story, Atsu works as an informant/assassin instead of a hunter/huntress. Really neutral in terms of alignment, but occasionally helps out and acts as a challenge/trial for the main characters.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33540455 - 5 months ago

In reply to Capcans2

So a sort of "test character" for the mains to pass for him to be seen as a positive-neutral... who also has a background of being dark and broody. Very interesting. Certainly has room for complex character development... I like it.

• Mystic_Wolf

Mystic_Wolf FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33562325 - 4 months ago

Name: Imbue

Concept
    : Individual can use their aura to strengthen non-organic objects attributes in a semi-permanent fashion.

Limitations: Total depletion of individuals aura will strengthen attribute based on the object size versus the size of the individual, although the strengthening works on a scale of diminishing returns. Aura disperses as item is used, and once aura is infused into an object it can't be retrieved by the individual. Different attributes would use different amounts of aura and can only be strengthened so much before necessary strengthening of another attribute.

Examples: You want a bladed item to be twice as sharp then as it is. It can be, given it is hard enough. Meaning the sharper the sword the harder you have to make the material.

Explosives could be much stronger than normal and effect the same radius, but to get stronger after that point the radius must be expanded as well.

Shields, doors, barricades could be more durable(Hardness) after a certain point they would have to start becoming heavier to become more so.

After a bladed weapon is used to cut items the aura depletes, based off how much the item would dull under the circumstances.

Explosives are one and done.

Etc.

Edit: Posted original too soon...

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01

#33562600 - 4 months ago

Name: Solar Stride 

Power: Absorb and channel solar energy to be used in all sorts of ways. (Energy blasts, force fields, healing, super strength, speed, agility, etc...)

Limits: The amount the user can absorb at one time depends on the users physicality. The user cannot absorb energy at night. Whatever energy the user has remaining after the sun sets can still be used, but once it runs out, they must wait until daybreak. The user must be in direct contact with the suns light to absorb it.(EX: If they are in a building without windows, they cannot take in power. The same on a cloudy day. The user cannot absorb power while the clouds block the sun) 

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33562862 - 4 months ago

Been a while since I last saw activity here. Alright then. I got a couple more for you guys, myself!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semblance Name: Telekinesis (physically bound)

User: Charlene Aranka

Description: Basically, it's like controlling gravity through direct motion of the user. While this may seem like a huge advantage right off the bat, this ability has it's limits. Namely, the ability to move an object and the mass of said object, in comparison to the user, are inversely related. For instance, an object (or person) of the same weight of the user could only be moved around for a few seconds at a time, and the force in said movement wouldn't exactly be enough to cause serious injury.

Semblance Name: Aura Channel

User: Wilbur Eticus (same page as Charlene, so no link necessary)

Description: Ability allows for Aura to be used directly in many applications, especially offense or defense. While acting so with it doesn't wear the Aura down, taking damage with it does (which includes DEALING said damage) at a near-identical rate. The further away the Aura is cast, the weaker its bind is, to the point where it is possible to be broken off and destroyed easily (the threshold of which starts at around 15 feet from the user). For Wilbur in particular, being able to interact with it without running the risk of taking damage comes as a good application in entertainment...

• Vohxus

Vohxus Illidari

#33562965 - 4 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

Glynda's Semblance is Telekinesis.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33563578 - 4 months ago

In reply to Vohxus

Yes, but we see that it is bound to her wand specifically.

• Vohxus

Vohxus Illidari

#33564021 - 4 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

You could say that her telekinetic powers are bounded to her riding crop, seeing how she always uses the two together.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33564049 - 4 months ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis I'm 100% sure that the 'wand' usage is for aesthetic 'witch' purposes. It's her actual semblance, end of story.

• Flagwaver

Flagwaver

#33572373 - 3 months ago

These are some of the Semblances that I am designed for characters in an upcoming fanfiction.  Please tell me what you think.

Color Inversion

Causes all colors within a medium-range distance to invert.  While this does not affect anyone who is color blind, it is severely disorienting for those not accustomed to seeing the world as it should be.  The fact that the character can shift the inversion at will with a small burst of Aura means he can keep anything around him off-balance.

Limitations: It affects everything around him, whether friend or foe.

Notes: The character with this Semblance is color-blind and dresses monochromatic in black and white.

Shade

This Semblance causes the character to be enveloped in black shadows, becoming completely ignored by anyone not specifically focused and looking directly at them.  They can move around the outskirts of the battlefield without anyone paying attention to them or caring about their being there at all.

Limitations: The power drops the moment the enter into the area of combat or launches an attack.

Choreography

This Semblance is activated when the Huntress begins to dance.  Anything that strikes her with an attack, whether melee or ranged, runs the risk of dancing with her and mimicking her movements perfectly.  The stronger the creature, the less chance they begin dancing after a single strike.  However, the more they strike her the more they are compelled to dance.  The dancers will mimic all of her movements, to include any moves that make them physically attack each other or their allies or dancing them over cliffs.

Limitations: The dancers stop dancing when the Huntress stops dancing or if they are struck with enough force to injure them.  The dancers are able to speak and use their Semblances, unless those Semblances have a movement base to them as they continue to follow the Huntresses movements.

Force Fist

The Hunter can charge his fists with a minuscule amount of Aura to create a strong kinetic impact when he physically strikes them.  For a small amount of Aura, the Hunter can charge his fists to throw the strike a short distance.  For a moderate amount of Aura, the Hunter can charge his fists and punch the ground.  The ground strike creates a shockwave that throws enemies around him into the air.

Limitations: Charging the attacks costs Aura.

Notes: This character's fighting style is Boxing.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01

#33572759 - 3 months ago

In reply to Flagwaver

Very creative. Well done

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33572920 - 3 months ago

In reply to Flagwaver

"Choreography" sounds like some fancy "Pied Piper" stuff going on there... A tad unnerving, but seems effective, all the same...

• thesonofcinder

thesonofcinder

#33574992 - 3 months ago

i don't know if this counts as a semblance but, one of my characters, a humanoid Grimm, has the ability to take the form of humans that he killed, his weapon, blood-lust, has the same effect as him, except that it can take the form of weapons. both powers are used through grimm magic, this, along with the monsters natural strength, intelligence, and hatred for everyone, makes him a dangerous foe

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33575203 - 3 months ago

In reply to thesonofcinder

A very interesting Doppelganger approach you've got there.

• CobaltPride

CobaltPride

#33575452 - 3 months ago

Semblance: Lion's Pride

Creates a lion-like armor(hence the name), over the user's body, giving them strength, defense, and speed, also increasing their senses to that of a lion. The user can also summon a lion avatar to fight alongside him instead of the armor, granting the user a "partner" if fighting alone.

Limits: The armor drains the user of aura fast, and can only be maintained if the user has a strong will or a large aura supply in their bodies. The armor can also only be out for five minutes, with a break of two minutes in between. This is, however, not the same with the avatar, as it only gradually drains aura. But the problem with the avatar-type is that if it does not deem the user worthy, it will reject any commands given to it.

I plan on using this Semblance for my OC, Cobalt Pride, so I could use any feedback for him. I've already started making the story, so I'd appreciate any help.

• Capcans2

Capcans2

#33575455 - 3 months ago

In reply to CobaltPride

The problem I have with this semblance is just how much it does. It makes the user an uberhuman with heightened senses and gives them a support.

I think you should ditch the armor and keep the summon, as there's already an abundance of "super armor" semblances.Or at least have the armor work as regular protection.

• CobaltPride

CobaltPride

#33575456 - 3 months ago

In reply to Capcans2 Hmm, good point. Alright, I'll focus on the summon then, thanks for the input.

• Papounator

Papounator

#33578830 - 3 months ago

Here's my character's semblance. I don't think its THAT original. I think its classic and it works.

Overcharge

Navy's Semblance is pretty self-explanatory. he can overcharge himself, DBZ Style

Here's a more Detailed explenation: Through meditation, he taps into his own Aura and converts it Into energy he can use in combat. (View it kinda like the Kaioken)

With this Energy, he can either apply it to his own body to make himself stronger, tougher and faster, Or he can apply it to his weapon. his weapons is a hybrid pistol/blade. when applied to the blade, its like a lightsaber that can cut through anything. when applied to the Pistol, his shots are extremely powerful. 

But there's a catch: 

-Like I said, it works like the Kaioken. So everytime he uses it, it consumes his aura.

-it takes time to charge his energy. 15 seconds to be exact

-while applied to his body, the overcharge lasts 1 minute

-when applied to his weapon, it is for a single use (one slash or one shot)

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33579095 - 3 months ago

Got a new one... it's a tad complicated, but that was kinda intended to balance out with the simplistic character that uses it...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Semblance Name: Spectral Division

User: Geoffrey Dusan

Description:The user fades out of visible reality and into an incorporeal state, dividing Aura into four physical representations of the user (weapons included). These "spectral projections," basically  weaker (by about 25%) versions of the user (made distinct by their monotonous color, usually the same color as the user's Aura), don't lose energy from fighting -nor does the activation itself require Aura- but from taking damage. The user is free to move about, but can only attack through controlling these spectral projections. Once each projection is out of Aura, it is destroyed completely, and Aura can only be recovered by recalling any existing projections and deactivating Spectral Division. Whenever a projection is destroyed, the user can distribute the Aura from the others to replace it if they so choose, but Aura cannot be regenerated while Spectral Division is in play. Also, while ammunition is duplicated in the initial split, all ammunition is simply distributed as necessary from there. As for how this would seem overpowered on paper, bear in mind that this only makes for an ideal situation against two people. Against one, using four projections can get complicated quickly; and three or more people could very easily counter this.

• Fwee

Fwee

#33591993 - 2 months ago

I've posted two semblances here, but since then I've come up with two more, hopefully they inspire or entertain someone.

Terra Coat: User can bond material to themselves, creating natural armor.  Requires energy to bond, and then a low constant drain to sustain.  The bonding doesn't shape it into armor however, so if you use it on sand, you've just stuck some sand to yourself, and if you want to steal a tank's armor plating, you'd better hope you have the strength to tear it off, otherwise your arm is stuck to a tank now.  Ideally used on convenient rubble in urban environs and wood in forests.

Magnify: Simply the increase of light to a burning level, either through boosting it or just focusing it.  As the name suggests, this is just a large-scale magnifying glass.  The character I designed this for has a sword with a glass disk in the center of the guard, but I don't know how the power would be used without this aid.  Example of this being used: User raises sword to dawning sun, when the light hits the glass it comes out as a thin beam causing damage roughly equivalent to a rifle bullet.

• Dinobot01

Dinobot01

#33592558 - 2 months ago

In reply to Fwee

Very creative. Well done

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33592941 - 2 months ago

In reply to Fwee

Nicely done indeed. Well thought out. A teeeeeny bit on the weak side, but you know what? That's ok. What's lacking in Semblance can be made up in attributes... or even the other way around of course.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33592948 - 2 months ago

One more new one. I MIGHT have an idea for another new OC after this one, but I'm still thinking about it.

Semblance Name: Better Than New

User: Andrew Valens

Description: Few have a Semblance that charges for effect, but Better Than New is an effective one to say the least. Charging the Semblance takes place in the form of contact with Aura, be it the user's or their opponent's. As contacts are made, his Aura begins to glow until it's a brilliant color matching the user's natural Aura color. Upon release of this charge, allies (and the user) receive a boost of half the maximum natural Aura restored from any damage taken along with a small boost to speed and strength for 20 seconds. If released at only half charge, the effect only restores 25% Aura. The charge can only be released at these two intervals to have the intended effect (between half an full still has the 25% effect).