Forums > RWBY

RWBY character ideas

Posts (3493)

• TerrabytePrime

TerrabytePrime The Weapon Guy

#33542078 - 1 month ago

I have thought about making characters who have mental disorders as well, but I have been afraid to put them out there, because I may not have a clear understanding of what they really are. As someone who is fairly positive that they're not crazy (you can never really know, can you), I would have no idea what said disorders are like. Not to mention that it is a pretty sensitive subject, especially when applied to fiction.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33542087 - 1 month ago

In reply to TerrabytePrime You should just always ask yourself why any character should have a disorder. What does it add to them as a character? Does it actually play a part in their development or is it there to be a quirky personality trait? Do you know exactly what this disorder entails, not just the most well-known symptoms, but everything that comes with it? And so on. It's definitely do-able, but you should keep questioning if it's necessary to do so. If you feel that the character benefits from having this disorder - not personally, but in a way that it makes them a stronger/better-written character - and you know enough about the disorder's effects and causes, there's no issue about implementing it. 

That being said, feel free to message me with questions about mental disorders. I love talking about them, because I'm very passionate about the subject, as I've said. I also have a disorder myself and personally know several people that do too. I'd love to inform.

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33542296 - 1 month ago

Like with Plum, I'll also post Roy in this thread as well:

[NAME] Roy Lazuli.

[GENDER] Male.

[AGE] 17.

[SPECIES] Human.

[OCCUPATION/EDUCATION] First-year student at Sentry Academy.

[COLOR THEME] (Royal) Blue.

[REFERENCE/ALLUSION] Bluebeard (though Roy's father shares more traits with this fairy tale character than Roy does himself).

[PERSONALITY] Stoic might be an understatement. Few will see Roy cry, but even fewer might ever get to see him smile. Though not apathetic by any means, Roy just has a lot of frustration built up that he can't exactly let out without seriously injuring or completely destroying someone or something. He's not necessarily violent however, and has enough restraint to warn anyone trying to provoke him into any type of physical combat to stop doing so while they can. Yet, all his anger, built up throughout his youth, keeps him from feeling much more than perpetual annoyance at the world in general. He doesn't often worry, nor does he fear much. However, there are topics he wants to avoid talking or thinking about to the point that he almost panics when they are brought up. He doesn't lose control, but he's really adamant about not wanting them addressed. Pretty much all of these topics regard his family, most notably his parents. Roy is very loyal to and appreciative of his friends, though he neither seeks new ones out nor shows them he cares. He would stick up for someone he trusts in any situation, while his emotionally unresponsive attitude makes it so he himself is not as trusted as he perhaps should be. He also doesn't intend to be as intimidating as he usually comes across, but doesn't go out of his way to avoid it either. Additionally, he is often underestimated because people tend to assume that his power is somehow fueled by his suit. He uses this to his advantage to catch human enemies off guard. Whenever anyone expresses surprise at his strength while not wearing his suit, he'll tell them 'You never asked me about my semblance'; a sentence he's uttered so often that it's a bit of a running gag among his team members. When really angered to the point of physical violence, Roy is hard to talk out of fighting. Although, while easily annoyed, he doesn't often let it get that far. If it does get to that point, however, it's for someone else's sake. He'll never fight for his own needs or in petty arguments. He much rather lets his intimidating stature and some unexpected yelling (as a change from his regular flat, monotone voice) do the talking in the case of a hostile encounter. Interestingly, his recently acquired friends at the academy have been doing a good job at cracking his harsh emotional exterior, and he's been starting to warm up to them and open up emotionally much more than he ever has in the past. 

[LOOKS] (NOTE: the way I drew his armor here is no longer entirely accurate! The 'weapons' section has the most current design sketches.)

roy_lazuli_by_animeannemarie-daagly1.png

Large in many ways, Roy looks nothing short of intimidating. From his height (his 2.06 meters surpassing most adults, and he's still getting taller with age) and bulky muscle mass, to his long, wild, deep blue hair and his piercing golden eyes. He has two bangs on each side of his face, but the rest of his spiked hair is swept back and, with a slight curl, comes all the way down to just above his legs. Though he wears his armor, specifically made to fit him by his father's company, throughout most of the day, he wears a plain white t-shirt and blue boxershorts with his logo in white on the outsides of the pant legs below said armor. His body is very well trained and muscular, providing Roy with a lot of raw strength and stamina independent of his semblance. 

[BACKSTORY] Many people that meet Roy fear him due to his last name. They'd ask him if he is 'The son of' which he'd have to confirm. Seph Lazuli, founder and owner of Lazuli weapon productions, and Roy's father, is an infamous man. Notoriously violent and cruel to his workers, the majority of which are rumored to be unwilling faunus, a genius when it comes to designing deadly, advanced weaponry, and even bigger, stronger and more intimidating than Roy is himself, he was not exactly the best father. For as long as he can remember, Roy has been personally trained and pushed to his absolute bodily limits by his father, who didn't exactly have the best in mind for his son; what he wants, instead, is a powerful human weapon. That's also why he had Raging Bull, Roy's armor, developed and designed specifically for him. Roy never felt the need to use any weapon in battle besides his own close-range combat skills and strength. That's why his stated 'weapon' is just this armor. Wearing it protects him from some of the sources of injury his semblance doesn't already protect against and also provides some extra offensive power with its spikes. Although his semblance is what makes him able to lift and wear, not to mention move around in, his incredibly heavy suit of armor, his raw strength saves him from being crushed inside of it were all his aura to suddenly deplete. Now, though his father is as rich and influential as he is racist towards faunus, something many people hold against Roy, Roy himself has never gotten to benefit from his father's money, as his father would greatly restrict him in where he was allowed to go and what he was allowed to do. Furthermore, Roy doesn't know his mother. His father claims she just left some day, but Roy doesn't buy it. His father has had many wives, who all supposedly suddenly left him without warning, yet no one ever saw again. No one ever speaks up to Seph about this, however, as they fear him. Unbeknownst to Roy himself, he actually witnessed what happened to his mother when he was about nine years old. However, he's repressed the memory and unconsciously blocks himself from remembering it. The antlers above his father's fireplace stared him right in the face, however, and he's always felt awful looking at them. Regardless, eventually, Roy had enough of his father's love-less behavior. Nothing Roy did was ever good enough or appreciated, and living in the cold winter of Atlas, his father always threatened Roy that he'd die if he left. However, he did, and with some of his father's cash, stolen while he slept, Roy set out to get as far away from his awful parent as possible. Afraid that his father would have enough connections at every official academy to simply look him up in the registers and find him, Roy sought to join the unofficial, unacknowledged Sentry Academy, located somewhere in Mistral. He was quickly admitted after he demonstrated his fighting prowess, and he has since joined Plum Burgundy, Bibi Bumbelle and Liam Nixx in team PRBL. 

[WEAPONS] Raging Bull

l9xn1kq.jpg

It is much less a weapon than it is just a big, heavy piece of armor; much too heavy for any normal person to wear, even one of its gloves being difficult to lift off the ground. It covers the entire body, save the head; it features no helmet. Though its parts are designed to fit the wearer perfectly and function together flawlessly as a whole, it really consists of multiple parts. A thin, slightly bronze-ish orange bottom layer and a heavy, metal, bright blue top layer which itself is also made up of several parts. These are the gloves starting below the elbow (and excluding the fingers), the chest region with Roy's logo in darker blue on the left breast (the piece covering most of the ribcage), the pelvic area (shaped pretty much like briefs), the legs down to the ankles (which is really two separate sections, as the non-covered knees separate the top part from bottom part), the feet (which exclude the heel and the toes) and a big cover that goes over the shoulders and the chest's armor piece. Some of the edges of the segments have gold-colored ridges; the top of the arm parts, the bottom of the shoulder cover, the top and bottom of all leg areas, the top part of the feet and the bottom part of the chest piece. All separate segments are tightened around each body part they're specifically shaped for. However, they can be taken off when they un-tighten, getting slightly looser with a small 'psh' sound as they finally let in some air.  Below all these armor pieces, the aforementioned thin, full-body armor, which is reminiscent of chainmail, is worn so that even those joins and body areas not covered by the top layer of armor are protected. It consists of horizontal metal strips specifically fabricated to protect the vital areas it's draped over from fatal wounds. This way, though the heavy armor spares these areas, the neck, upper arms and elbows, knees, ankles, inner thighs, stomach, fingers, toes and heels are also protected while still able to move around freely, unrestricted by rigid metal plating. Furthermore, parts of the entire armor set have giant, slightly curved spikes on them. On the shoulders, extending outward, and closer to the neck, facing upward. Also on the elbows, facing outward and up, two on both hands' knuckles, facing downward, and on the knees and on the top of the feet, facing upward. Lastly, a whole strip of five them, facing upward, runs along the spine, meaning some are on the blue, heavy plating, and some on the orange "chainmail" piece. These five normally point almost downwards, but when the back is arched or flexed, this movement causes the strip to curve in a way that makes them stand up. Finally, the cover over the shoulders has a mechanism that can angle it so that the back rises up. This way, the two large spikes pointing up near the neck now protrude from near the ears, extending in the same direction the head faces, looking like bull horns.

[EMBLEM] A front view of a bull's head, the circular negative space between the horns extending in a thin line downwards. Two extra squares are added on the left end of this extension, which effectively shapes the aforementioned negative space from the horns down after a key. The bullhead shape could also be interpreted as a long beard, the space between the bull's horns now being the space where a mouth would go. It's the same shade of blue as Roy's overall color theme.

[SEMBLANCE] Toughness: This semblance makes it so that Roy is effectively immune to nearly all blunt force trauma. Be it hitting, slamming, launching, falling, or anything else; it would have to be incredibly powerful to even slightly hurt or displace him. In addition, Roy gains exceptional strength (this is mostly a side effect of the muscles being 'immune', in a way, to great exertion, though no super speed is gained; the muscles are tough, not quick). The use of this semblance is limited to Roy's control and current amount of aura. If he runs out of aura, the otherwise passive power of blunt force resistance, and with that, great strength, fully loses its effects. Also, even with full aura levels, Roy remains entirely vulnerable to anything that pierces, stabs, slashes, or whatever else doesn't rely on blunt force.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542324 - 1 month ago

In reply to ImmaThinkin

Better to not include something than to do it and have people ticked off.

In reply to AnimeAnnemarie

I was simply trying to give the character something to hold him back, you know? I mean then again, holding back on it wouldn't really matter in a combat situation, seeing as "talking to himself (being the voices in his head)" would probably only add to the disorientation from his Semblance... if you can guess how. That in mind, paired with what you've been saying, I guess removing it would makes things less complicated...

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33542328 - 1 month ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis Voices are only one of many symptoms that come with schizophrenia. If hearing voices is all he does, he doesn't even have it. Where are the many types of delusions? The other types of hallucinations besides just auditory ones? The catatonia? The social isolation? The paranoia? Again, you don't really know what schizophrenia does. So don't call it that.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542334 - 1 month ago

And it's THAT reason that I was asking for similar ones that aren't as serious... I was thinking of it being a disorder resulting from being so reliant on his cybernetics, taking up the entirety of his fou limbs. Oh, and awesome OC by the way! My latest one is still about half-way through the weapon development phase (though I do already have the profile image done) and I still have to design the emblem as well before I get started with posting it...

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33542338 - 1 month ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis Thanks! Roy is one of my most developed characters. Anyway, anything that is 'less serious' isn't a disorder. I don't know what kind of disorder you could possibly get from relying on prosthetic limbs. Remember, a mental disorder is something that fucks with the way your brain works to such a degree that you can't function normally anymore. He might have physiological complaints, like phantom limb-related stuff, but that isn't a mental disorder. At most, the pain or otherwise negative sensations cause anxiety or stress, maybe depressive feelings. But then again, if any of those feelings were at a disorder-level, the character wouldn't be able to function again. I think you're just best off writing him in a way that the prosthetic limbs impact his personality and way of behaving, but not calling it a disorder of any kind.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542364 - 1 month ago

I was sort of thinking of the sort of problem that Doctor Octopus did, with HIS cybernetic "tentacle" limbs, only not entirely including the whole artificial intelligence conflicting with user consciousness issue... But I'm not sure that'd be applicable here :/

In any case, I'm almost done with the weapon, but I have just one quick question: Does anyone have an idea for the symbol for Energy Dust? I'm almost thinking of having it be an inversed Gravity Dust symbol... or something similar.

I think I'm about to the point where I can get away with a quick hint towards the character by revealing the allusions: Samus Aran, from the "Metroid" game series, and Leia Skywalker, from the Star Wars movie series (not as influential in the making of this character)

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33542368 - 1 month ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis Doc Oc was influenced by his tentacles because they were attached to his spinal cord and the electrical signals interfered with his brain through the brain stem up.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542374 - 1 month ago

Couldn't there be a similar effect here? I mean there IS the event where the anesthetics wore off during the procedure... Maybe that could factor in?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33542376 - 1 month ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis If the anesthetics wear off, that just means he'd feel pain again. Are you implying that caused PTSD in him or something? Because then we're talking about a disorder again, and then he wouldn't be able to function normally, and nothing of his description you've provided points towards it either.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542378 - 1 month ago

Ok, just checking. So... As for my question before, regarding my progress on my latest OC project... any ideas for that Energy Dust symbol? That's kinda the one thing holding me back right now...

• GenErick64

GenErick64 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Senkan Aficionado

#33542388 - 1 month ago

Been a while since I set foot in here but I just wanna show off a set of emblems I made for my newest team: BLHV.

2353972-1490055291996-BLHV.jpg

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33542389 - 1 month ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis How is energy even an element? What does it do? There are a billion types of energy. Kinetic energy, heat energy, electric energy, etc. So which one do you mean?

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542396 - 1 month ago

Honestly, I don't know, but it's one that was used in that fight against the Paladin (the one Weiss used to create a yellowish glow around Blake)

• GenErick64

GenErick64 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Senkan Aficionado

#33542397 - 1 month ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

I think that was Time Dilation

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542404 - 1 month ago

In reply to GenErick64

... Yeah that does sound about right, in that scenario... just that using yellow as the color doesn't make sense. Keep in mind it's the same color as was used for Ilya's weapon too...

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold He who is found yet lost

#33542405 - 1 month ago

In reply to GenErick64

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

Gen is right that isnt Dust per say but rather a combo of it I think and one using Weiss's glyphs to cheat.

We know some semblances or skills can do it such as what Ozpin pulls out but we currently dont know what does except I doubt very much there is a time dust.

So most likely its a combo of applied dust

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542409 - 1 month ago

In reply to revanninja

Well, then I am going to have a hard time figuring out whether to either not include the symbol... or to just use a different Dust type...

• revanninja

revanninja FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold He who is found yet lost

#33542413 - 1 month ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

No it wasnt yellow white with maybe a pale and I mean PALE gold aura

V2_04_00066.png

While Ilya was using a MUCH more stronger Yellow aka Lightning dust.

V4_09_00054.png

So as you can see by the compare Ilya is using different dust then whatever weiss did as weiss's time dilation is closer to white then not.

• RoseMaryM

RoseMaryM FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold PYREverse Artist

#33542416 - 1 month ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

Actually that's two different things. The Time Dialation doesn't use dust as it's Weiss' Semblance. It's simply yellow to show a golden clockface. Her glyphs aren't affected by the dust she is using iirc. and are blue by default.

Yellow is lightning dust, which is- I'm pretty sure- what Ilya was using.

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542420 - 1 month ago

In reply to revanninja

In reply to RoseMaryM

Assuming that this Lightning Dust different from Electric Dust, which is more of a cyan... Wait, how are they different, then?

• AnimeAnnemarie

AnimeAnnemarie

#33542422 - 1 month ago

Since when is electric dust cyan? Where did you get this?

• RoseMaryM

RoseMaryM FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold PYREverse Artist

#33542425 - 1 month ago

In reply to I_Am_Jarvis

Blue is not lightning. Blue is Ice most likely.

"It is unclear what property blue corresponds to, but since both steam and ice Dust are "secondary" types of Dust partially consisting of water Dust, it follows that water Dust may be a "primary" Dust type.[10]"

(fire, water/ice, lightning, wind) 

Hist1_00006.png

Source on types of Dust

• I_Am_Jarvis

I_Am_Jarvis

#33542427 - 1 month ago

Volume 4, when Ruby used Electric Dust ammo on the Geist, which left a light blue effect, not yellow. I could be wrong, but the symbol on the ammo mag suggests otherwise