Forums > RWBY

Farewell, Monty Oum - Mourning Thread

Posts (138)

• shrdlu

shrdlu

#33365424 - 1 year ago

We all do

• Syamur

Syamur FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Founder and Head of RDDT

#33367295 - 1 year ago

He's the whole reason why I started doing graphics art design and animation.

Even if he wasn't dead, his ingenuity and creativity inspired me, and it has with many others.

• erepin

erepin

#33378901 - 1 year ago

Creative, inspired, inspirational.

• Chynna

Chynna

#33383717 - 1 year ago

In reply to erepin

Three words that embody Monty very well.

• Syamur

Syamur FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Founder and Head of RDDT

#33410059 - 1 year ago

In reply to erepin

These words speak truth about Monty, and we will all remember him by these words.

• jiminfully

jiminfully

#33423738 - 1 year ago

I discovered Monty's work through Dead Fantasy, a few years ago when he was actively releasing each part on his youtube channel. No matter how many times I watch it (DF, Rwby seasons 1-2), I ALWAYS get goosebumps from the fight scenes. Then I found out that he was creating his own show, and it's an honor to experience how the show began and how it's currently blossoming. RWBY is like my baby, lol. As much as I love where RWBY is going lately (awesome character growth and story development), Monty is dearly missed in the latest action scenes. His fight animations are unmatched. They are by far, the most epic, most mesmerizing and cohesive fights I've seen. It's not over the top and overwhelming, it's just enough to take your breath away. It's so surreal that he's gone, but I'll always support RWBY and cheer on the production team. Thank you all for continuing his legacy. I hope that you remain inspired and motivated, because RWBY is an amazing series in which I'm attached to so many characters and I want to learn all of their stories. I'm sad that I wasn't an active follower, but I will rewatch all of his stuff in remembrance and support his current dreams. Rest in Peace, Monty Oum.

• MontyOumsSpirit

MontyOumsSpirit

#33443408 - 1 year ago

Hey guys I just want to say that I'm sorry that Monty Oum had to die from this it's almost as if there's a pattern of great people (usually creative directors/writers) dying to unknown causes such as Cancer/Unknown Allergies. Anyway I'll post of RWBY Theory here since it's based on Monty Oum's mind. If I predict this either I'm special or I'm a God. First of all by the end of this season we are going to see Weiss and Ironwood meet up with Taiyang and Yang fly in Ironwood's net hidden jet that he made personally in secret since Half of his mind is Robotic and he is the true Pinocchio (you can tell by the Blue eyes, the hair and that he is half robot (even though he is fully robotic he acts like a human just like Pinocchio) That's why he is so good at fighting since he has no emotion. But, as long he remains brave, truthful, and unselfish, he will not fail. But you can see the problem there instead of turning back to wood he is turning back to metal since he hasn't been truthful. He is hiding a truth from Weiss that's why Penny's father built Penny because Penny's father knew Ironwood was hiding a truth from Weiss. Dust is based on Fire just like Fire, Dust is destructive and resourceful. Fire in our world basically helps us with food, energy, but also creates smoke. Dust in RWBY helps with all of that but in the wrong hands it could cause destruction and Jacques Schnee is purposely working with Cinder, White Fang, and Torchwick (almost like Torchick from Pokemon that's why he has that feather on his hat) all working for Salem. The true enemy is Ozpin. Also the Grim is like Carbon dioxide causing you to get sick. Also Penny or I should say Penelope (which is her real name) in 2006 a movie called Penelope came out and Penelope is another name for Penny. This was the movie's synopsis "Penelope Wilhern, born to wealthy socialites, is afflicted by a secret family curse that can only be broken when she is loved by "one of her own kind." Currently the only one of her own kind is Ironwood made by Penny's father.

Monty died from eating fast food and stuff like that if he stayed a diet like a boiled diet for instance tea, rice and soup he would have lived longer. As well as if he removed the skin and the husk of every food on the planet. We are meat eaters we can digest meat, eggs, and fresh cows milk. But not anything fermented or with skin on it. Like for instance an apple what do you find harder to eat the Skin or the Flesh. The skin of course. Try something more easy like a banana what's easier to eat the skin or the flesh. You may say well what if someone is allergic to lettuce well they aren't allergic to it they are allergic to the toxins mended with it by the toxic water 

Same with nuts (if you are allergic to nuts remove the husk or just cut up tons of nuts with the husk fully removed then eat it. If you get a severe reaction by touching nuts then ask someone else to do it. Peanuts are a bit more difficult since they first have a shell and then the under layer of skin that's why Peanuts are known as the Turtle Nut) and grains remove the husk and then it's good. The reason people can eat rice is because like soup and tea when you make rice you often cover the top which kills off all the germs. But if you are eating whole wheat pasta or anything like that when you boil it, boil it with the lid on. Any leaves with less than the amount of water that's in a human body is bad while any leaves with more is good like Lettuce and other leafy greens. Animals can't digest any leafy greens that is less than the water that they are made out of. Mammals have the highest amount of water than any other species except fish who basically live in water. That's why Whales and Dolphins can survive for a long time under water. Dolphins are fast swimmers so they can come for air often while whales spout water to remove the access water building up in their lungs. That's why whale sightings are so rare since they don't have to come up as often due to their big lungs. Also whales clean the water so all that spout water is actually fresh water.    

Also has anyone looked into Monty Oum’s name before? Monty means Mountain belonging to the ruler (that's why Ren has so much connection to that mountain). Also can be a diminutive of Montague: Pointed hill. Steep Mountain. And Oum means, “An intense desire to be of service to others, very patient person and will work hard one step at a time to accomplish your goals, not interested in large undertakings, you are content to live from day to day to save for your future (means good with time and spending money, tends to thorough in building a solid foundation of fact and logic, but is not especially imaginative or investigative which is why Monty spent lots of time watch people and series to try to build a new world”.   

Before people dismiss me remember what Monty Oum said, “Everything has spawned off of something. If you look at something and tend to use it, you have to emulate it, which means you have to understand it.” And the other quote “This is the most important thing watch movies, watch shows, or watch things, and keep your eyes open.” So I’m 100 % sure those are a couple of clues and I know that because I watch things.  (Also these quotes come from Monty’s Tribute)

• Elfcow

Elfcow FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33480402 - 1 year ago

I only just now discovered RWBY, almost a year after his passing. I never knew Monty, and I know that my grief could never compare to that of those who knew him, but my heart is broken nonetheless. RWBY has been a shining light in the darkness for me, and it did so much to lift me up. The story, the characters, and the world-building and incredible animation ignited a passion in me that not many things can. When I heard that Monty had passed, I tried to dig up everything about him, every sketch and podcast he appears in, every silly dance video, every thing he animated. I haven't watched it all. I'm not worried about running out - his soul is still in RWBY, and every new episode brings me so much joy (even when they scare me half to death.)

Monty's philosophy really struck a chord in me. I always tried writing, and dancing, and other artistic endeavors, but I was always missing what Monty would have called the most important part - the work ethic. His philosophy and dedication still leave me in awe every time I listen to him talk about spending thirty hours in front of his six monitors, before falling asleep in his chair and waking up to do it all over again. I am going to try to do Monty proud and truly work to add something of value to this world. And that is the beauty of Monty's legacy - because of him, there are millions of people who will strive to make the world a better place every day. Because of him, many young (and not so young) people will look to the heroes of RWBY and find hope and inspiration to warm them on their personal journeys. Because of him the many fans of Rooster Teeth have formed such a positive community, full of positivity and support, but also high standards for art and hard work - the way he would have wanted it, I hope. I remember hearing on the RT memorial podcast (I forget who said it) that Monty could always find value in something, that he found a way to learn from every experience and artwork, no matter how unlikely. And I think that that's something we can all learn from. Even when we disagree with each other, even when we have silly arguments, we can remember that there is always something to learn from each other - and we have Monty to thank for that.

My heart goes out to anyone else struggling with this tragedy, and especially to Monty's friends and family. And to the current RWBY team, all of you, animators, writers, voice actors: Monty would be proud of you. He IS proud of you. The world of Remnant means so much to all of us, and it is heartwarming to know that it is in such capable hands. The incredible work you've done with Season 3 and 4 is a lesson to all of us, that the joy does not end with Monty's passing. You have built on the immortal work that he started, and inspired countless others to pick up a pen, or a brush, or a pair of dancing shoes. My heart is breaking. And yet I know what to do. He told us himself. Keep moving forward.

We love you, Monty.

• MontyOumsSpirit

MontyOumsSpirit

#33487577 - 1 year ago

In reply to Elfcow remember a broken heart is a cracked heart that shines the brightest. Like look at a cracked window it's cracks are the most noticeable. So a broken heart is what shines no matter how dim the light is. With the light off you can't see it. So acknowledge a broken heart since everyone can see it shine just like the sun. The world of RWBY hasn't talked much about the Sun.

• HarshNon-HumorousGerman

HarshNon-HumorousGerman Keep moving forward

#33600755 - 1 year ago

You'll never know the Day, nor the Hour. So we say in Germany. Still after 2 Years now it is hard to believe, that Monty passed away. It is sad, that such a great Person had to die so soon. Who would knew that his quote about the only thing that stops us from doing great things is Time, would haunt us now. I know there are lots of Tribute Videos out there but I wanted to share mine with y'all, in memory of a talented Man who left a scar in our Hearts :(

Farewell Monty, we love you!

• RWBYRUBY221

RWBYRUBY221

#33625678 - 11 months ago

Dear Monty Oum,

I loved your Dead Fantasy and RWBY series. Both shows were entertaining and enjoyable. Its so sad to see you gone. I wish the surgeons were aware before the procedure. I'll miss you! <3

-Ruby

• JadeTiger

JadeTiger FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold what?

#33631149 - 11 months ago

In reply to HarshNon-HumorousGerman 

your link doesn't work, sorry.

• NightStar_Force

NightStar_Force

#33657805 - 9 months ago

For all we know he could be in the world of remnant right now reborn into it, to the place that he created. Sorry I don't have any other words because it already been said by many others before me..

• dragoonattack

dragoonattack

#33666294 - 8 months ago

In reply to Blood_XIII monty, you will not be forgotten. Rwby will live on!

• anto77562

anto77562

#33667115 - 8 months ago

made a rooster teeth account just so i could post here about how beautiful RWBY is, and how many lives Monty oum has made better, even if just a little bit by making this show

• Crowgale

Crowgale

#33667130 - 8 months ago

I didn't actually know of Monty's existence until roughly March 2015, when I first happened across RWBY when both Vol 1 & 2 were on Netflix but I sorta glossed over them... was only moseying towards other things at the time. About a month later when I finally stuck my toe into the series and got pulled into a raging torrent of awe and beauty, I nose-dived into the fandom and finally learned what had eluded me so many times.

This man, a Legend in no simpler terms, had passed on.

It was a truth that stung the soul. I'd only been with the series a week and yet in that time I had grew to love it so much the news hit like a brick... with the brick being a crunchie and the shock of it making you recoil and bang your head off a bookcase.

At the time and long before then, I wanted to become a Author... but I had hit a creative block and hadn't written anything in months.

When Exam season came around I decided to dabble in it again. I went to my room, pulled out my laptop and started writing... and immediately got bored.

So I put on me PS4, went onto Netflix and out of impulse (and because there was feck all else on) in put on Vol 1 and half-watched half-listened to it as I got into writing. By the end of the night I had written a full chapter and was half-way through the next one.

It dawned fairly quickly to me that having RWBY on in the background helped me write.

So I got to writing with that on in the background, spending a bit too much of time I should have used to study for GCSE's.

Then when summer came I continued to repeat this process, alternating between RvB and RWBY as I wrote page after page, finally putting thoughts into words to create a story I had been building for years.

3 Months, 313 pages, 180,000 odd words and only the stars know how many times I watched both series on a loop. I was able to commit the lines and the fight scenes to memory, I still dream of taking flying kicks to the cranium and waking up with migraines.

Two years on and I'm a published author... psych, I'm actually in editing hell! 313 pages of crap to edit through, a significantly large word-count to drop by 10,000 and many changes I need to make to even be pleased enough with it to want to publish it.

Why am I saying all this you ask? I'll tell you.

Because even though I'm in writer's limbo, I'm determined to continue. Monty Oum- a man I never met and will never meet, through his legacy and his story alone, has taught me that to create something is to devote the soul and the heart to it in the hopes it touches the heart and souls of others.

If the challenge is to create something that makes the world a better place then I will meet it head-on, I will do it!

Thank you Monty Oum, for the stories you made and the ones that you left behind. I cannot truly mourn your death, so instead I shall celebrate your life and legend. 

And with luck may we meet in the beyond... preferably in a bar in the beyond, if heaven hath no pubs I will be pissed.

• manuela.aumick

manuela.aumick

#33685771 - 6 months ago

what a great and interesting thread

• swaggrenox

swaggrenox

#33687591 - 5 months ago

I've never been so affected by the death of someone who I've never met :( Yet, I can't help myself but to feel saddened every time I re-watch all of his masterpieces, and mourn the fact that he won't be around producing awesome stuff anymore. Every time a new RWBY episode comes out with a fight scene or potential fight sequence, I feel very sad that we won't be able to see his work anymore :(

RIP Monty...

• Whawpenshaw

Whawpenshaw

#33691144 - 5 months ago

In reply to Blood_XIII 

The hypocrisy of the opening post triggers me. "People are shitty for using what they perceived to be Monty's original direction of the show as a defense for their ideas, and if they use Monty's name in a post that I personally find to be shitty by my own standards I'll put them on a shit-list and try to make it as public as possible!"

Like, you're also using Monty as an excuse to be REALLY shitty to other people. Live the change you want to see. 

• Blood_XIII

Blood_XIII

#33692337 - 5 months ago

In reply to Whawpenshaw

I think you're misunderstanding a few things, actually; First and most important being the intent behind it! I've never been here to tell people that their theories are dumb or wrong, even if I disagree. I've never tried to say that ships are bad or problematic, even though I personally can't stand the idea of shipping. The purpose of that warning is to serve as a notice that there ARE people in this fandom who've no common courtesy in the face of their own wants; People who will sooner claim that Monty's creation has been purposefully altered specifically to change facts around THEIR beliefs than simply accept that they were flat-out wrong about something.

This isn't as simple as people developing counter-theories either, as in those working under assumption that any given fact may be a red herring meant to mislead the viewer and set up a twist. This is referring to people who are SO enveloped in their own world that the immediate assumption is that they themselves are the ones being attacked; That the TRUTH is being changed for the sole purpose of someone else's gain and/or because someone else disagreed with the existing 'facts' on a personal level. Not artistic interpretation that has to be invoked since Monty isn't here to inform on the fine details, nor reworking a scene/plotline so that it flows as intended without giving away too much/gives away just enough... But people genuinely believing that they can only be right about something, and anything that says otherwise MUST be done with harmful intention. 

Now, all that said... I've never once HAD to see my warning through, because the ones it referenced are no longer as prevalent! The fandom as a whole has gotten MUCH better than they were when the initial post was made, so in the present climate of the fandom it sounds far more aggressive than it needs because you'd only see anything even close to it from an absolute lunatic you WOULDN'T want to be associated with.

See back then there was a very small vocal minority who more wanted RWBY to be what THEY wanted it to be, as opposed to it being the vision of someone else. The complaints were more subdued until, during the days following Monty's passing, they felt it necessary to start talking about how "Miles is just going to fuck it all up because he's a shit writer" and "There goes every ship WE as an audience know to be true."  Following their chain of posting led me into a dark den of 'fans' who were already beginning to talk as though they knew what Monty had intended/planned/wanted.

But we're not talking sound concerns for the series itself; Things like the fight choreography taking a hit, the direction or writing not being quite as sound, the worry that the core vision would be changed without its creator... No, these people, who thought of themselves as fans, were legitimately discussing with one another about how they just KNEW that Miles, Kerry, Gray and any other number of staff were already actively removing 'hints' to their ships or theories. Saying to each other that they needed to be ready to attack in case the 'real facts' were thrown out or left unmentioned. A select few had even tried saying that Monty HIMSELF was retconning facts AS people 'figured them out;' things like the infamous theories of Yang being "Summer Rose" or Blake and Cinder beingrelated, both of which Monty quickly called out on Twitter as being false and apparently annoyed these very adamant few.

Compare that to now, where the closest thing we have to that is people being passively outraged about fight/animation quality, or jumping to conclusions by starting petitions to bring a character back to life as soon as they sustain an (Admittedly hefty) injury? It's obviously nowhere near the same fandom it was back in those days, because the people who behaved that way ultimately saw themselves out of it... Some by choice when they decided it wasn't 'good enough,' and some by force when they tried to act like they WEREN'T a lunatic among the more sound-minded side of the fandom. 

The biggest problems that have ever actually come up thus far were the recent aforementioned hefty injury (Which allegedly led to Miles getting more than a few death threats of his own), the Shane Newville Lettergate debacle (Which was very intense and divisive at the time but NOW is pretty widely seen as his personal cry for help regarding his emotional turmoil over the loss of Monty), and the utter bloodbath that was the finale of Volume 3. I can't speak much on the former, and the middle one can be taken a number of ways... But the latter I witnessed in person thanks to a user messaging me personally and asking if I might be able to get a word to cRWBY and ask them to step in and get people to stop being so toxic on various mediums (The admins of the group were regularly mistaken as people who had actual sway with RT, when really we're just fans ourselves)

... And what I saw was that almost NO ONE was upset about the loss of the character themselves, only what it meant for the ships. One side happy that one ship was sunk and rubbing it in, the other side seeming as though their lives were at an all time low because the ship was dead. It enraged me deeply, especially since I was still hurting over our loss of Monty thanks to my own emotional hangups... So I stepped away, both from the show and the fandom, and to a degree even my moderating here in the group.

If there were ever a time I would've abused my warning, or shown 'true colors' with the intentions behind my warning in the initial post, it would have been THAT point in time. So many people acting as though they were better than the next, so many people only caring about a loss of a fictional relationship, so many people coming up with theories of revival or any other straw-grasping hopes... And yes, some people even putting the blame squarely on Miles himself, stating that he was taking pleasure in ruining their hopes and dreams! 

However, the DAY that episode came out Sheena (Monty's widow) had posted images of a photoshoot that she'd done back when Volume 1 was still airing, and it undeniably told everyone that Monty INTENDED things to be this way; His vision was being posthumously upheld as intended. This was further evidenced by Barbara saying on a podcast following the Volume 3 finale that Monty had told her right from the start that what Yang's future held... And my faith in the fandom was kept alive by the fact that, even as they were tearing each other apart, people were spreading the word all on their own that it was all planned from the outset. No one argued about how it wasn't what Monty wanted, or that Miles was making it his own, because there was now proof positive that the man who brought the series to life HAD truly planned it out well in advance.

To give a TLDR of sorts, I think you've simply misunderstood what my intentions were with the warning. It wasn't an excuse to judge others for anything should I disagree with them and/or should I think that they weren't good enough; It was a notice to anyone who might try to say that the ONLY reason they're wrong is because Monty is dead and can't make sure it happens exactly the way they personally wanted/expected. There's quite a difference between someone talking about creative liberties the team may or may not be taking with RWBY and someone outright claiming that they know better than everyone else what was 'meant' to happen simply so they're technically right even when they're wrong.

• Whawpenshaw

Whawpenshaw

#33694484 - 5 months ago

In reply to Blood_XIII

Okay. I read all of that. I'd like to first say that I appreciate the time you took to respond so thoroughly. I would then like to say the history and context was an interesting read. I'm also sorry for assuming that your judgement (had you hypothetically shit-listed someone) would be based on your own personal interpretations, and not based on more factual information. 

I'll be brief:

Given the two behaviors:

1. Telling the people close to Monty that they're fucking his show up

2. Putting everyone that does (1) on a shit-list

Clearly, (2) doesn't hurt people in the same way that (1) does. It's not symmetric. And really, (2) is not even that bad. However, it doesn't matter if people are right or wrong with their theories. It doesn't even matter what Monty wanted or had planned. My point was that putting people's names on a public shit-list is not cool, and you were using the gravity of Monty's death to justify doing so. 

And it's hard when the fire starts to burn. And when people are doing (1), what do you (as a moderator) do? How do you respond? It may be difficult, but responding with a fire of your own is not the right choice. 

• SimMeavorn

SimMeavorn FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33698884 - 4 months ago

Not sure if this is the right place for this but:  My partner and I got into Rwby in the break between seasons 2 and 3 -  I'd been an RVB fan for about a year before that.  So we got the news of Monty's passing not long after finishing watching the 2 seasons.  Neither of us were particularly creative beforehand, but after watching RWBY, we both started gravitiating toward more creative fields.  She started studying sound design, I started voice acting in my spare time -  we picked up an audio drama series we liked, and started working on it.  2 Years on, and we've released our first attempt at animation.  I started learning a few months ago and thought it'd be cool to show that Rooster Teeth's work inspired the two of us to try something creative.

Sim Meavorn

There's a bit of swearing in there, so NSFW!

Link here

• SimMeavorn

SimMeavorn FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold

#33698885 - 4 months ago

• JadeTiger

JadeTiger FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold what?

#33698976 - 4 months ago

In reply to SimMeavorn

you need to ass the link useing the link feature, its above the typeing box, next to the S looking thing with a line through it