Forums > General Discussion

The Oxford Comma Cafe

Posts (53962)

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33207098 - 3 years ago

Good morning, all. I missed all the drahma.

• andytheciderman

andytheciderman RTCyclist/Keeper of Wine

#33207100 - 3 years ago

In reply to MrFusion

I get all of that. It's just, Tony seems to know when he becomes a danger to the people he's trying to help and then acts accordingly, hence his willingness to sign the accords.

Rogers mindset appears to be a more 'I'm going to help them whether they like it or not'. A lot of shit could have been avoided if Cap wasn't so stubborn.

In reply to FLYbarger

Righto. See it, it's really good!

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33207101 - 3 years ago

In reply to priest81

Last nights episode of Dharma and Greg? That show was cancelled 14 years ago... I'm sure you can find the episodes on Hulu or something.

• Priest

Priest FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold NonSequitur OCC Consular

#33207103 - 3 years ago

In reply to FLYbarger

or perhaps

The_Swan_logo.jpg

• kaosblack21

kaosblack21 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold RTX Guardian V.4.0

#33207107 - 3 years ago

In reply to FLYbarger

There was a girl the first time through college that had the same exact first and last name as me (well same shortened first name at least. The actual first name might be slightly different). My last name is one of the most common last names in the U.S. so that isn't as much a big deal. But combined with the first name, that changes things. My friends always joked that I should have tried to ask her out. Now that would have been weird.

• Radius55

Radius55 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Site Admin

#33207111 - 3 years ago

Setting a lot of people not using spoilers for a movie that came out a week ago. Not only have I not seen it, but I have a banhammer.

You have been warned.

• Priest

#33207116 - 3 years ago

I wanted to say one thing on the whole Shane ordeal. RT shouldn't comment at all. They have nothing to gain from it, and a lot to lose. I read the letter; and to be quite honest, it is not a reliable narrative, and anything RT would do would just solidify public opinions...whatever they are. Every company has employees who are fired, leave disgruntledly, or have issues with process and management. One of the things that really stuck in my craw about the whole letter was his refusal to follow the creative directors direction, or how he fought at every turn on creative decisions and staffing. Also, I don't trust him, as in his own words, he put all of this ahead of his wife and children. I don't trust him to have good decision making, and I don't trust him to objectively look at a situation.

• Joron093

Joron093 FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of The Forges

#33207120 - 3 years ago

Hey guys wha-

*witnesses brandishing of the banhammer*

Seeyoulaterby!

• LanceMowilos

LanceMowilos FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Keeper of Unicorns

#33207122 - 3 years ago

@priest81 good reference haha I love that show

And also Team Stark. Partly because Cap is a representation of what I don't like about America, and also because the whole super soldier thing seems like a stupid premise for a super hero. Just my opinion.

@Radius55 Thank you oh glorious banhammer. I am mortally afraid of spoilers because I am really excited to see this movie. Might have to wait until I move to Austin though because I have to save money :(

• Lamkia

Lamkia

#33207126 - 3 years ago

(Fuck timezones, I missed the talk Shane talk) I hope you guys don't mind if I just write a small bit?

What I took away from it:

- Monty's work flow was great...for him. When there was a small team of people that can work off of each other like lightning it was probably a spectacular thing to watch.

- This work flow doesn't work in larger groups. It seems like Shane was trying to keep something that just couldn't mesh with a bigger group of people.

- Shane is a great animator. But, it seems like Shane doesn't work well with groups. And that's fine. It just means that the way RWBY is going is not a fit for him.

- I can't believe he didn't mention Miles or Kerry once. They had just as much stake in the show and made it seem like don't give a fuck about any of this. When he said that the velociraptor Easter egg was added in vol 3 without him and that it just wasn't the same because he didn't do it, it came across as very selfish to me.

- He treasured Monty over his own family, which is quite a statement.

- The way they treated Sheena is questionable. If it is true, that part is kinda shitty.

I really think that Shane is a great animator and I do wish him the best, although I'm not sure how much he will get in the future since this paper probably hurt him quite a bit.

- Now you may resume your talks about superheroes and Lost -

• Shadow5435

Shadow5435 Archange

#33207131 - 3 years ago

Does the good guy do that thing to the other guy?

• Kiwi

Kiwi OCC Time Lord

#33207135 - 3 years ago

I put my two cents into the OCC Shane Discussion Thread, so that's where I stand.

• Priest

#33207139 - 3 years ago

In reply to Lamkia

I don't know if Shane's narrative surrounding Sheena is reliable. He also put HER above his own family.

• andytheciderman

#33207140 - 3 years ago

In reply to Sameul

Aye fear not Radius, we're only discussing varying moral standpoints of the protagonists and nothing is being spoiled, but I will stick everything in spoiler tags from now on.

Don't like writing a response on my phone, but I'm now on a train and have no choice.

I'm Team Iron Man, not because of the beurocracy of it, but because people doing what they do need to be held accountable for their actions if there's any unnecessary collateral damage or civilian casualties. Signing over to the UN isn't sacrificing their own freedom to choose, it's just ruling out a 'shoot first ask questions later mentality'.

• Lamkia

Lamkia

#33207141 - 3 years ago

In reply to Kiwi

Whoops! My bad, I didn't realise a separate thread was made. I'll repost it there.

In reply to priest81

Yeah, that is definitely a thing to consider.

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33207145 - 3 years ago

I love you all... but I can't put you over this face.

1004363-1459174092945-InstagramCapture_0

• Fly

Fly Keeper of Blades

#33207147 - 3 years ago

In reply to andytheciderman

And what of those that have secret identities? Are you forgetting that SHIELD was infiltrated by Hydra? We know that Hydra officials were already in the government and we don't know how many more there are. What if an underground Hydra agent got their hands on every secret identity on that list?

• JDMFK

JDMFK FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Staple Intern

#33207150 - 3 years ago

In reply to FLYbarger

I don't think secret identities were a part of the Sokovia Accords, only the Registration Act from the comics. And almost everyone's identities are already public knowledge in the MCU.

• MrFusion

MrFusion FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Calm Like A Bomb

#33207161 - 3 years ago

In reply to JDMFK

Except Spider-Man's, which will make the upcoming movie very interesting, seeing as the backdrop of his story will focus on his relationship with Stark and living in the world with the accords being law.

• andytheciderman

#33207164 - 3 years ago

In reply to Sameul

Exactly my point! I don't see the problem the UN would have with a rapid response team at critical moments, but they definitely wouldn't have a problem sending the Avengers on such well planned and thought out missions.

They could also, arguably, accomplish more with such powerful political backing.

• MrFusion

MrFusion FIRST Member Star(s) Indication of membership status - One star is a FIRST member, two stars is Double Gold Calm Like A Bomb

#33207167 - 3 years ago

In reply to andytheciderman

The counter to that is the idea that the could also be forced participate in missions that are less heroic, and more political in nature. That was Cap's concern in the comics.

• andytheciderman

#33207173 - 3 years ago

In reply to MrFusion

I understand Cap's concerns, I really do. But the UN wouldn't be their employer, they would just be held more accountable for their actions. Hell it might even be beneficial in the long run.

My main point is, signing the accords is a shite sight better than not signing them.

Maybe the UN shouldn't be putting them in that position, but because they are, Iron Man's logic makes a lot more sense.

• andytheciderman

#33207195 - 3 years ago

In reply to Sameul

Yes, again, I understand, but not signing makes them criminals if they continue in their work. If you want to blame anyone, blame the UN. Iron Man is doing the only logical thing in the circumstances. You can't just ignore reality like Rogers does.

I agree that Iron Man will keep Spider-Man's identity a complete secret.